The Institute of Engineering and Technology (IET) and the British Standards Institution (BSI), the authority on electrical installation, have published an amendment to the IET Wiring Regulations, which help to ensure electrical installations are safe and comply with UK law.
The amendment brings advanced safety in electrical installation activities.
What is IET Wiring Regulations?
The BS 7671 Wiring Regulations covers the design, erection and verification of all new electrical installations and additions and alterations to existing installations in the UK. Although not a statutory document, BS 7671 sets the national standard for how electrical installations should be carried out safely and is the most widely accepted way to evidence compliance with statutory requirements.
All electrical professionals should follow these standards, which promote electrical safety.
The new requirements
The essential updates to the IET Wiring Regulations introduce significant changes to increase the safety of electrical installations, particularly in high-risk environments. The new standards will also help electrical professionals keep up to date with new and innovative technologies that embrace the future of renewable sources of energy and their integration with everyday life.
Here, we briefly outline the updates:
- A new requirement for Arc Fault Detection Devices (AFDDs) in some AC final circuits for installations in some types of higher risk residential buildings
- The requirement for the fire safety design of buildings to be documented where specific conditions of external influence exist, such as protected escape routes and locations with risk of fire
- A method for determining the requirement to provide overvoltage protection
- Changes to identification, labels and notices, such as for consumer units, affecting how safety information is provided to the user of the electrical installation
- A new chapter on prosumer low voltage electrical installations
What does this mean for you?
When looking to appoint an electrical contractor you need to be sure that they adhere to the most up to date safety standards and guidelines. The BS 7671 IET Wiring Regulations, specifically BS 7671:2018+A2:2022 which refers to the most recent edition, provides a benchmark to help you assess the competences of potential contractors. You should always feel confident that your chosen partner observes the highest standards to ensure that your electrical installation is the safest it can be.
Woodward Group – a partnership you can rely on
Our commitment to delivering high-quality services, including electrical installations, is reflected in the professional recognition that we have achieved in the industry. By choosing Woodward Group as your electrical contractor, you can rest assured that all our work is completed to the highest standards, including meeting the new BS 7671:2018+A2:2022 regulations. This is backed up by our NICEIC accreditation, the body that monitors standards of workmanship to ensure that contractors, like Woodward Group, are working to BS 7671.
To speak with one of our electrical installation experts, please contact us here or call 01283 819379.