In this article, Woodward Group’s Fire Safety Division outlines the protection provided by fire suppression systems and highlights some of their many benefits.
What does a fire suppression system do?
Fire suppression systems extinguish electrical fires by releasing a concentration of gas into a room, removing the oxygen, and extinguishing the fire. A suppression system can quickly find an electrical fire and put it out at source, with the agent causing very little or no damage to equipment.
At Woodward Group, we install Fire Suppression Systems with unique patented linear detection tubing, which is installed throughout the panels and cableways. This tubing is then connected to the cylinder valve and charged with nitrogen. Should a high temperature or fire occur, the pressurised tubing will burst and the extinguishant will be deployed directly from the burst hole onto the fire, discharging directly in the right location.
A choice of non-conductive extinguishants, which will not damage the electrical components or leave a residue, are available. This includes 3M’s Novec 1230, which is non-toxic and the most environmentally friendly agent currently being offered.
A switch is also added to the system which is held closed by the pressure. Should the tubing burst or the pressure be lost, the switch will open; this signal can be used to isolate the power and raise an alarm.
What are the benefits?
Electrical fire suppression systems have several key benefits. For instance:
- They can immediately tackle any outbreak of fire, enabling a fast response
- The systems can also minimise the scope of damage and disruption to business operations
- They offer hi-tech protection that meets the all-important ISO 9001:2015 standard
- As well as being highly effective, the systems are also affordable
- They can be installed alongside an electronic solution
- The systems are also recognised by leading insurance companies
- Retrofitting can be carried out simply too – helping to keep costs down significantly
How we can help
Woodward Group’s Fire Safety Division are approved installers of the Firetrace Fire Suppression System. This means our expert designers and installers can provide state-of-the-art protection that is recognised by leading insurance companies and offer full after-sales care. Our customers can also rest assured that their systems are manufactured to the ISO 9001:2015 standard.
To find out more about our fire suppression system installation services, please get in touch with the team today.